Monday, June 20, 2011

Metagame Blown Wide Open

Jace the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic have both been in almost every deck built the last few months. With Caw Blade (a deck wielding four copies of both) being by far the best deck in Standard, the banning of these two cards as of today, will totally blow away the existing metagame. The best competitor to Caw Blade since the release of New Phyrexia has been Splinter Twin, which also ran four copies of Jace the Mind Sculptor.

Lucky for me, this doesn't affect my Red Deck Wins list that I ran at my local FNM on the 17th, and won with. (Celebrate!) This was kind of a big deal for me, as it was my first Standard tournament in about four years (since whenever Cold Snap came out), and I believe my second one ever. (You could call the tournament I played in '93 "standard" because I believe no other formats existed at the time, but it isn't today's Standard format.) I'm also thinking that Splinter Twin might find a suitable list without Jace.

I'm sure most of the magic community will be happy with this announcement. Not those who stretched the bounds of their financial means to acquire four copies of Jace the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic (at one point nearly $500 with Jace running as high as $100, and Stoneforge over $25 at times), but hopefully they will hold some value as they are still playable in Legacy, which is still growing slowly in popularity (maybe not as fast as Magic in general, but still growing none the less).

I forget all the promises I made in my last pose, if any, so I'll go check, and then maybe I'll fulfill one or some of those, but until then, may all your outs be live (I guess that doesn't really apply to Magic, huh?), and all your draws be keepers (as opposed to mulligans, that makes sense, right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment