Thursday, May 31, 2012

Draft 3/4/2012

Since I missed going to the GP, I treated myself to a little draft at Wild Things last night. I was very successful and won it, going 2-1-1 in swiss rounds, and 2-0 in the top 4.

Here is my draft deck, as close as I can remember it now (I might edit it when I actually have my cards in front of me). It was a super sweet zombie deck with a ton of synergy, mid range mana curve, and very aggressive. We drafted DKA, DKA, INN.

I first picked Ghoultree over a bunch of good cards including Lingering Souls, Death's Caress, and a Soul Seizer that I wheeled, but didn't end up playing. I wanted to go UG mill yourself and picked as a bomb. But green was cut off. I think about 4/6 at the table were playing green. The guy to my left, Raph, 2nd picked Lingering Souls, but didn't decide to move into white until middle of pack 2. White was wide open the whole time. I think he's the only one drafting white.

There was a Stromkirk Captain and a Diregraf Captain in pack 2 or 3, and Raph hate drafted the Stromkirk Captain (he told me a lot of his picks after the draft), and when the Diregraf Captain wheeled, since I had gotten almost no good green dudes, and black was clearly open due to this wheeling, as well as the many Death's Caress floating around, I decided it was time to move into blue black zombies. I had picked up some blue zombie enablers like a Screeching Skaab and a Thought Scour, as well as and a Relentless Skaab to top it off.

My biggest mistake was passing a Mikaeus to Raph in our Innistrad pack. I knew someone in that direction had Lingering Souls, and white had been wide open all draft. He was my only loss all day. I'm lucky to have beaten him in the top 4. He's a much better player than me.

This is only my 4th draft in a year, and my 5th or 6th ever, but I'm a good student. I do my homework. And I really love deck building. Studying math and computer science helps with logic, reasoning, and evaluation of things like efficiency, and probability and statistics. All in all, I would say I'm pretty well suited for these kinds of things.

The important thing is, I got to play some Magic. I had fun. And I think my opponents had fun too. I bought in Kevin, who I'd play tested a little Standard with at Borderlands. I'm happy to front a Magic player a little cash. You know they can always pay you back, even if it means selling some cards to the shop. Magic players usually have more cash flow flexibility than they think.

So, that puts me 5-7 at local events this year (winning 5 out of 12 events). This was a 12 person field, with a few good players, at least two that are more experienced as me, and very likely to play better. I make a lot of play errors, because I don't get out that much to play, but I am very good at the theoretical and deck building aspects, which is why I like draft so much. I can see synergies and opportunities, read signals, and just plain build good decks. Well, at least I could last night. :p

Anyways, until next time,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment